Friday, January 26, 2007

Winter At Last!

I write on a cold, overcast morning which makes the house feel even warmer and cosier. It has been a lot colder lately, with a light dusting of snow a few days ago and frost on several mornings. Seems like winter is finally here! Maybe we'll get enough snow for snowmen soon - the kids would love that & I'd love to see the beauty of the snow! My bulbs must be very confused though. Thankfully none are blooming yet except for a few snowdrops, which should be fine in any snow!

Tim has taken off today & we are planning to leave soon for W5 in the Odyssey building in Belfast for a homeschooler's day out! It's supposed to be a lot like the Hands On Museums in America - lots of things for the kids to do. I'm really looking forward to seeing it & fellowshipping with the other homeschoolers!

Elizabeth said "W5" very clearly this morning. W's not an easy letter to say! The boys couldn't manage it for ages. Often when I put her down for her nap, after a bit of protest she'll say, half-crying, "Then Beebee wake up?" (Her word for Bibby is Beebee) I'll say, "Yes, then Bibby wake up." She'll look mildly comforted, then say, "Then Beebee not go sleep?" and I'll affirm again as I get her ready for her nap. Often when I'm holding her she'll say, "Good to be with you, Mommy." And I'll say, "It's good to be with you, Bibby," and she'll say, "Yeah," very contentedly. :)

Last night all three kids woke up at different points wanting to sleep with me. Isaiah claimed to have had a bad dream; Peter was shaking and acting scared; Bibby was just crying and saying she wanted me. Consequently I feel pretty tired this morning, although I've had a lot of energy this morning despite that.

In fact, since I cut down on bread again yesterday I have had a lot more energy, and also have felt less hungry. Also gone are the nausea and headaches I was getting a lot in the evenings lately. The impetus for cutting down was seeing that I had gained about 6 pounds recently. I've been gradually eating more bread, and this may be why the weight was coming on again!

Last Saturday we got a lot done around the house; it was good to spend a Saturday just getting everything orderly. Tim worked on the curtain pole area in the living room, sanding it down after removing the old wooden batton from the old curtain rail, and I did lots of ironing as well as tidying. The past few weeks I've been seeking to be more diligent in my housework, and yesterday I had a terrific day when I got all the ironing (a laundry basket full!) and laundry done! Hurrah! I hope to keep on top of it from now on! I also vacuumed up & down. I have a daily chores schedule which I must keep to, to cover all the basics every week.

Tim should be back soon from a brief trip into work to set up some things for the weekend & finish off a few things. Time for me to get last minute things ready to go!!

Hope everyone has a great weekend! God bless you all!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have fun at the W5! It's one of the best museums I've ever been to.

We're cold here now, too. We had snow and ice last Sunday, and then snow showers yesterday. I sure miss our fireplace stove back in Ireland. It kept things nice and cozy. Our house is a really good summer house, but it's got so many windows and it's so open, that it's not a great house in the winter.

I know what it's like when everyone seems to get up at night! Hope you don't feel too tired, despite the lack of sleep!

Anonymous said...

It's getting cold there? Ahh, that sounds like fun. I only wish it would get cold here. The coldest we get is maybe in the low twenties, but even that's unusual. And if it lasts for at least a month, we're all like, "This is weird, we're not used to cold weather!" and then we kind of don't mind the summer coming back since we're so used to it. Which I don't mind, but, I just wish it would snow at least once.

Sounds like fun to go to the Museum. Hm, I remember the Hands On Museum. It was fun there. I hardly remember it, though. Hope you have fun! :)

Aw, Elizabeth seems like she's growing up a lot? Soon she'll be in college and that will be even more scary. I miss all the kids so much. It would be fun to get to know them again! :)

That's good you're feeling better and are able to do lots of things. I like the feeling of things getting done.

I'd better go now, love you!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary; see I read it! Thinking of Irish cold makes me shiver! Cold here is pretty nice! I've been walking every day with Sharon selling unnutritious Girl Scout cookies! But it's been fun to spend time with the precious little girl! She hugs me as we walk and tells me she loves me. That's good medicine for any ailment! So cute they all piled into bed with you! Mommies are so comforting. I have experienced an awesome amount of laundry the last few days, and ironing is beginning to pile-up, and Fall housecleaning never got fully done before Christmas, so I'm focusing on being super diligent too. Really staring my exercise routines again are giving me a lot more energy. Exercise is so important. Miss you!!!!! We miss all of you! Hug and kiss the little ones for me!!! (That was a precious picture of G-Dad on the other entry!)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Deb!

I know, I love it when it gets decently cold & snows!

College?? Eep. I'm not going to think about that right now!!

Love you lots!

Mary

Anonymous said...

Hi, Mom!

I don't mind Irish cold when it's cosy inside! Maybe I'm getting used to the wetter cold, too.

That's darling you walked with Sharon selling cookies!

How is your catch-up cleaning going? :)

Love you tons!
Mary