Okay. I have very little time, so timer is set for 10 minutes. Let's see if I can sum up the last few days in 10 minutes. This should be interesting. ;)
Tuesday:
Most of afternoon spent on phone with our internet provider & wireless router provider, as we had been having lots of problems connecting with the internet since the Saturday floods. The internet provider insisted the fault was probably from our end. But mysteriously, when I got off the phone with them, the connection improved & since then has been fine. Hm, somehow I don't think the problem was at our end!! ;P
Wednesday:
Actually a dry day! And sunny much of the afternoon! Wow. I got to mow the lawn. Because the grass was so long, it took almost 2 hours! But so nice to see the nice, neat lawn.
I read through the Rebuild Your Vision book & did a few of the exercises/relaxation activities. Made my eyes feel very refreshed! Interesting. I can't wait to try more.
Tim & I did PACE exercising in the evening, me alternating running/walking (1 minute each) for five sets. It only took 10 minutes but was pretty intense! Tim did it on a stationary bike, 1 minute fast cycling, 1 minute slower, with 5 sets. The object is to really pump your heart up & start panting to send signals to your body to increase heart & lung capacity to enable better oxygen levels. This greatly strengths heart & lungs. Plus burns more fat than longer, more moderate workouts.
Today:
I felt really good after the workout & feel the effects today: better posture, tighter stomach & legs, more energy. But no muscle aches. Better than I've felt with any other workout. And in only 10 minutes! Interesting. Exciting. I am supposed to only do about 3 days a week in this beginner's stage. It's hard not to do it today! But maybe it's to help your body recover and build more capacity.
Today has also been pretty sunny. I was up at 6:30. Poor Tim had trouble sleeping so he was up a bit later. He often has trouble sleeping lately. We want to get full blackout blinds soon, as blackout curtains still let too much light in. That would help boost his melatonin levels and hopefully help him not wake up in the middle of the night and get to sleep better.
I did lots more research on natural cleaning today and tried out some tips with baking soda, white wine vinegar and tea tree oil. The latter is for mold. It's supposed to be mixed with water and sprayed on mold, then allowed to sit a few days. By then the mold is supposed to be killed and can be wiped off. I hope it works! Baking soda is great on brown stainless-steel sink stains. My kitchen sink looks brand new & shiny now! :)
I also did research on natural ways to help sleep & anxiety for a friend of Tim's at his work. E-mailed the info to Tim who forwarded it on to his friend.
Oops, there goes the timer. I've got to do eye exercises now, then dinner. Didn't even get outside today. Oh, well, maybe just a few minutes...!! Got to get some sun!
Got to go!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
Sounds like you got a lot done... ;] Why did the internet provider say it was your fault?
I'm glad you've found an exercise program... that's great! Muscle aches are usually caused by not enough water, or stretching, or maybeeee too much intense workout. Never done that for me, yet.
That's great you're enjoying it! Does it work your arms?
Love you tons!! You'll have to come see us soon; we miss you too much!!!
We've been having problems with our internet too. Maybe it was the weather.
Yeah for sunny days! The 10 day forecast only has one day of rain right now! (Of course, that really means we'll have to get the lawn mowed!)
I do like the way my eyes feel after vision exercises. I still do them whenever my eyes get tired. I find it funny that the idea is so discredited.
I like the idea of doing 1 minute on 1 minute off. I found the 8 seconds/12 seconds just a bit too much. The thing I didn't like was that I was just watching the clock for 20 minutes, which was rather tedious.
Have a good weekend!
Hey, Deborah! I don't know, the guy seemed to think our microfilter was at fault. But if it was, there's no way it could have improved so suddenly since I got off the phone with him, and it's been fine since then, praise God.
It works my arms somewhat. I'm surprised how many muscles running works out - including my tummy!
Love you so much too!!
Mary
Hey, Danielle! Sorry I didn't get back sooner; we were away a lot Friday & Saturday.
I think it must have been the flooding for us. Did you have flooding down your way?
Wow, that's great you only show one day of rain. Our five-day forecast shows rain on Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday. :( We had a lot of rain while shopping yesterday.
Yeah, good idea to keep doing the eye exercises now & then. Hopefully that will prevent your vision from ever worsening again.
People need to hear more about eye exercises! It makes so much sense, and works... I guess eye doctors wouldn't get nearly so much money if everyone did them! ;)
Al Sears says you need enough of a break in between intense exercise periods to allow your heart to calm fully down. 12 seconds wouldn't probably have been enough time for your heart to calm down. Also, you'd probably need longer than 8 seconds to really get your heart going - unless you were going super intense! He says to do the intense bits long & hard enough to be panting hard afterwards. Then allow your breathing & heart to return fully to normal before doing another burst. This trains your heart to adapt to quick demands of energy, helping against heart attacks & increasing capacity.
I use a timer, which beeps after a minute, so I can just concentrate on my running without constantly looking at a clock. However, my feet have been really sore so I wonder if I need running shoes, even for such short 1-minute sprints?
Thanks - hope you have a great Lord's Day! :)
Mary
P.S. 1 minute-1 minute intervals is the beginner's workout, done 3-5 days for two weeks. Further steps include gradually reducing the length of intense workout while increasing the intensity, and increasing the amount of rest time in between. The idea is to keep up the challenge on heart & lungs.
Our five day forecast isn't quite so good anymore either. :( I keep hoping for September, though!
We did have a lot of flooding around us. Thankfully there's pretty good drainage. Our dishwasher isn't working, though, and I'm wondering if it isn't able to drain properly because of all the water. We have a bit of a problem with our septic right now, too. Yuck.
I think I'll try one minute intervals next week. My heart was really going the whole 20 minutes, which, as you say, isn't really interval training then, is it?
I think running shoes are probably a good idea. I have bad feet and can't exercise without proper footwear. If your feet are hurting, they probably need better support!
Hope you have a wonderful Lord's Day, too!
Hey, Danielle! It was great to get your message this gray morning. It cheered me up. :) I had woken up feeling very sick to my stomach around 6:00, but thankfully laying down for a few hours helped a lot.
I'm hoping for September to be better too! It was improved last year, but then August was too. October was the best last year, so maybe things will improve!
Oh, eww, poor you with the dishwasher & septic acting up! I hope they improve soon.
Exactly, intervals is all about speeding your heart up very quickly and calming it down again. That gets the heart used to quick demands and gets it adept at getting back to a resting rate quickly! That way you're less likely to have a heart attack. My heart takes at least a minute to calm down, but that's normal at the beginning. I try to really relax, take deep breaths, etc.
Yeah, I may have to get running shoes. Meanwhile I should at least wear my walking shoes (trainers) - I was very silly and only wore my sandals last time I ran! I think I was asking for it! ;P
Okay, the kids have gotten the Bibles out on my bed to do devotions together & I'm on my last bite of breakfast, so... it was nice to have a little visit with you and now I must adios!
Love you!
Mary
Hurray! Now it's getting sunnier in mid-afternoon!
Glad to hear it's getting sunnier up there! Maybe it will get better here later.
The dishwasher somehow fixed itself! I have no idea what happened, but it's working again. Brendan is quite relieved!
I am going to bike tomorrow. Monday, Wednesdays and Friday I do video workouts with weights. I enjoy weight training much more than cardio, but at least the cardio is over quicker!
I'm really glad that you found a workout that you enjoy. I know you'll see lots of benefits, both physically and emotionally from the exercise!
You ran in sandals? Ouch! I can't even contemplate that.
Hope you're having a great day!
Okay, I did the biking this morning. Doing one minute sprints was really tough on my legs. At the peak of the workout I was getting my heart rate up to about 170, but for most of the workout it was around 160 I'd say. And then it was around 150 at the end of the resting periods. (These are all approximate as I didn't have a heart rate monitor, but they should be proportional anyway.)
Is that enough going up and down? My legs and my heart surely felt the workout anyway!
Did you get a chance to run yesterday?
I hope you did get some sun! It's gray again this morning but maybe it will cheer up later again. I didn't run yesterday because it started raining just when I wanted to run. Also I was a bit tired from my bout of nausea earlier on.
Haha, that's funny your dishwasher just fixed itself! I wish my appliances would do that. ;) Probably was the flooding then.
I know, this is the most enjoyable exercise I've ever done. And because it doesn't take long, I think I actually have a chance of keeping up with it... ;)
Ha, ha, I know it was really stupid of me to run in sandals. Well, I've learned my lesson!!
Let's see, he says that your heart rate during exercise on average should be about 60-80 percent of 220 minus your age. But then in a later chapter he talks about trying to acheive maximum heart rate variability, so that your exercising heart rate should be much higher than what he calls your "recovery" heart rate (citing examples of 160-180 bpm for well-conditioned exercise heart rates). To find this out, he says to exercise steadily until you start breathing heavily. Record your heart rate. Keep going for a minute. Cool down for two minutes. Stop completely for one minute, then measure your heart rate. This is your recovery heart rate. It should be at least 30 beats lower than the exercising heart rate. If is it more than 50 beats slower, you're in really good shape. Basicaly the faster your heart calms down, the better. (Note that the recovery heart rate is not the same as your resting heart rate. The latter should be taken after sitting quietly for at least two minutes.)
Hope I explained that okay! Try that! I will too!
In looking through the book in more depth, it seems that your recovery periods can be 2-4 minutes long or even longer, basically going until your heart really calms down. Then do the next 1 minute exertion period. The goal is to gradually train your heart to calm down faster and faster, so that eventually it may take a minute or less to really calm down. The 1 minute -1 minute schedule was just to get your body used to basic exertion & recovery periods.
I'm definitely going to need to start taking my pulse while I do the exercise - it'll give me a much better idea of how I'm doing.
I'm feeling much less tired this morning! So no excuses - I must run today!!
Hope you have a great rest of the day!
I think you'd be really interested in Al Sears' newsletters (he's the guy who does the PACE exercises). He agrees with Dr. Mercola on a lot of things but in general I find his newsletters even more helpful & informative, though I still definitely want to get Mercola's too. For instance, recently he talked about a co-enzyme called SAMe which is supposed to boost dopamine levels and thus mood in the brain. It has been shown to treat even major depression quickly and effectively! Wow! I want to research to make sure it doesn't conflict with the antidepressant, and if it doesn't, I want to try it!! Here's the link to sign up for newsletters: http://www.alsearsmd.com/content/
Post a Comment