Thursday, July 10, 2008

Update

We didn't get any England pictures onto Snapfish the last two nights... so I'll just do a general update following on from the end of my last post.

Tuesday night (July 7th):

Tim mostly finished trimming the hedge! So our back garden is looking much neater with the grass cut too. With all the rain our lawn is looking nice and lush and green again. It had gotten big brown dry patches in May and June with the drier weather. But I hope we get a little more sun soon, still enough rain for the flowers and grass, but a bit more sun would be nice!

Wednesday (July 8th):

Yesterday I had lots of energy and for the first time since we got back from England, didn't need a nap and had NO NAUSEA! Hurray! I got lots of tidying in the upstairs, and vacuumed, so it looks pretty neat now. :)

I did some more tidying in the attic too, organizing all my old journals so that they are in order in a box. I have about 50-some (started when I was 11 years old!)!! It's neat to have a record of things that happened in my life, brings back all these memories & things I would have forgotten otherwise. I guess it saves paper AND lots of space to write online now! I just have to write, it's a part of me!

I did a little bit of Math with the boys, reviewing their facts, and I was pleased how well they remembered things after our holiday of nearly a month off of homeschool! We had Bethan and Oisin over in the afternoon again, and it was pretty sunny in the afternoon so they all had a lot of fun playing together. :)

I also did some weeding at the back patio while the kids played outside!

Yesterday night we rented a movie as Tim was feeling really tired. We got "I am Legend" but though Will Smith acted really well as usual, the plot was horrible and sad! Ugh! NOT recommended!

Today (July 9th):

Well, so far it's just been the morning. I was more tired when Tim & I got up at 6:30 as I'd woken up during the night, but after an early nap I feel much better. :) Peter wants me to play a card game with him with some cards he made up, and then I want to do more homeschool today (yesterday was just a "warm-up" day!).

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mary!

Wow that's good you're getting rain since May and June.
I wish I could walk over to your house and help in the garden!

Wow you finding an old journal must be exciting; did you read it?

Michael said "I am legend" was a bad movie too; I'm glad I didn't see it!

Hollydays said...

Hey Mary!!!

I just got your very sweet card in the mail today! It made my day! Thank you soo much! You are so good about sending cards and postcards. I really need to get better about that!

I'm glad you are feeling better and getting back to the swing of things. It's always hard to get back to work after being on vacation.

That's neat that you've kept all of your journals. I'm a planner pack rat. I keep all my planners from year to year. It's neat going back and seeing how stressed I was at one point in life and realizing.. it really wasn't that stressful. hehe! I'm sure your kids will really enjoy reading your journals when they get old enough! :)

Much love,

Holly

Hollydays said...

I agree. I am legend wasn't so good. I don't think I'll ever watch that again.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Sharon!! Yes, it's been great for our garden. Oh, I'd love you to help in our garden! I could always use help weeding! ;)

I found most of my old journals! I've read some of them. It's fascinating. So many things I'd forgotten!! It's great to have these memories all written down! I recently read about when Mom got pregnant with YOU and how excited we all were! :) What a great sister you turned out to be! :)

Yeah, "I am Legend" is the closest to a horror movie that I've ever seen. Just pointless horrific elements & an ending that left me feeling like, "Whatever, that's so sad & stupid." We never watch horror movies! I thought this one was going to be uplifting, like he personally ends up saving more & more of these zombie people and you see people recovering and getting back to normal. THAT would have been cool and exciting. But nooooo... :P

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's great, Holly, I'm so glad you got it in time for your birthday!! :) Wow, things are getting over there faster than they used to! It used to take about 7-10 days; now it seems to take more like 5 days! I'm so glad it made your day!! :) You know how I remember to send out cards? I write it in my calendar about a week & a half before to get the card ready, then write in to mail it a day or so later. That's what I do with everything I need to remember! Then each day I transfer the notes from the calendar onto that day's to do list. I like being organized! :)

That's funny you keep your planners! I know, I think it's hilarious finding out what used to stress me out around 11-15 years old, which was mainly being a little behind in my journals! Ha, ha!

Yeah, I think it'd be fun to have my kids read my journals! I think it'd be amazing to read old journals from my mom or grandmom if they had kept them (and if they wanted me to read them!! ;).

Lots of love,
Mary

Anonymous said...

I know, Holly, I am Legend left me with a "whatever, that was really pointless and stupid" feeling. All those horrific scenes - for what? So the main character could get killed to "light up the darkness," whatever THAT meant?? I never watch horror movies but that was about as close to one as I've ever seen! We got it thinking it was going to be uplifting, one man's triumph over this horrible disease, restoring humanity and seeing the world get back to normal! But no, we had to have an "artistic" weird ending... :P

Anonymous said...

I just went through a whole bunch of old papers, mostly drawings. The kids were kind of bewildered why I kept some of things, especially old birthday cards. I got rid of a whole lot of stuff, though I kept all the Valentines from my 3rd grade class!

I don't generally like to read what I've written in the past. I think it's kind of odd that I keep stuff, too, because I don't like to be reminded of the past. Mostly because all the bad stuff is so much stronger than all the good. It would probably be a great thing to keep a blessing journal and only write down the good things from each day or week - that would be nice to go back and look at!

We've got lots of decisions and covet your prayers - and if you or Tim know of any way Kevin can take a couple of courses in N. Ireland without being in a degree program, we'd love to be able to go up there. We checked out Open University, but it doesn't offer the things he needs (Bio 101, Organic Chem Lab 1 & 2)

Hope you're still feeling well! Love you lots!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Danielle,

I am a sentimental pack-rat. I keep so many things that remind me of friends, happy times, etc. Not that that in itself is wrong, but I do need to pare down what I have... I also love cleaning out and throwing away things too. So both sides of my nature are at war! But my cleaning-out side gets stronger as I get older. ;) I still keep very sentimental things though. I guess my past memories are mostly good ones I am a sentimental pack-rat. I keep so many things that remind me of friends, happy times, etc. Not that that in itself is wrong, but I do need to pare down what I have... I also love cleaning out and throwing away things too. So both sides of my nature are at war! But my cleaning-out side gets stronger as I get older. ;) I still keep very sentimental things though. I guess my past memories are mostly good ones (except for the terrible illnesses of the last 6 years... I've gotten rid of most things that remind me of those!) so being reminded of the past is usually nice - I'm sorry it's not the same for you! :( I don't like to keep anything that reminds me of bad memories!!

I keep some birthday cards too, but mainly ones that have good messages inside from close friends/relatives.

I like your idea of a blessing journal. It would be neat to write blessings from God, answers to prayer, thoughts on serving Him, etc. Most of all focusing our thoughts & perspective on Him is the GREATEST positive in life!!

I'll ask Tim about those courses. He may know.

Lots of love & prayers,
Mary