Thursday, May 01, 2008

A Fall!

Just when I was starting to have more energy and get things done... yesterday in mid-afternoon I had a bad fall and hurt my tailbone! I had been sorting out things to take up to the attic from the boys' cupboards and fell off a chair... really painful!! Since then I've had to lay down most of the time as being up for more than a few minutes increases the pain a lot.

Laying in bed on my side with paracetamol just reduces it to a dull ache, but it can be frustrating not to be able to get up and do things. Tim has taken off work today, and wants to bring me to the hospital to make sure it's not broken.

I slept okay until about 5:00 (glad I'm still on sedatives to sleep right now!) when the pain increased a lot, and I took paracetamol then which gradually helped and I rested until 8:00.

Now it's 9:20 and Tim's brought me breakfast. I'm so glad for this laptop so I can type in bed! Bye for now!

8 comments:

Amber said...

Oh no! So sorry Mary. I have broken my tailbone, fell on it twice actually. It is SO painful. For what it's worth... I don't think they can do much about it even if it is broken. It takes a long time to heal but the pain does get bearable and you learn to deal with it. I know it's hard, another thing to deal with - uggh!

Anonymous said...

Mary,
I hope you didn't have to wait much longer for Tim after I spoke to you yesterday. Please let me know how you get on if you go to the hospital today.

Anonymous said...

Oh, thanks Karen! Tim was home about 15 minutes after. I was able to call for Peter after talking to you, and stopped shaking so bad, and he got me some frozen peas and my jumper (funny combination!). The peas helped the pain.

Tim took me to the hospital around lunchtime and thankfully I didn't have to wait long. The doctor thinks it's probably broken but didn't want to x-ray it as it wouldn't change the treatment (pain relief) and would have to be 100 times greater strength than a chest x-ray (wow!).

So I'm just to take pain relief and rest a lot. So lots ot time for blogging and Jane Austen! ;)

Thanks again! Love you lots!
Mary

Anonymous said...

Oh, you poor thing having it happen twice! Once is bad enough. :P How soon were you able to walk around a lot? I still am not up to walking around very long. How long did it take to get better?

Thanks for the encouragement!

Lots of love,
Mary

IF said...

Oh no! I hope you feel better soon. That has to be so painful. I hope you feel better and heal quickly!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Ivy!

IF said...

How are you feeling? I can only imagine that is so painful. When I was pregnant with Iza I had terrible tail bone pain and that was no fun at all. I hope you are feeling better. I know with three kids to run after, a broken tailbone is the last thing you need right now!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Ivy! I think I'm improving a bit, able to walk slightly better but still not able to do too much. But I'm so glad to see any improvement!! Tim has taken off today too and has off Monday. Hopefully by Tuesday I'll be able to look after things on my own!