Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Timely Wisdom

My Bible reading for today, a series of verses from the am Feb. 19th reading in Daily Light (I am slowly changing it via the computer into NASB version, so am a bit behind!), was exactly what I needed to hear. Lately we've been going through a series of little difficulties that add up: disrupted sleep, urgent matters like tickets broken glasses requiring much time and money, and many packages that haven't arrived in the usual time.

In contemplating these problems, I was convicted last night and this morning that I had grown negligent with devotions, and that we desperately needed God's grace and wisdom! Unless He builds our house, we labor in vain! We need His wisdom to know the right things to do, His strength to do them, and His mercy in resolving the difficulties - and trust Him in all things!

These were the verses that stood out, the verse at the top setting the theme:

The LORD gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding.

TRUST in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. ** If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all men generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. ** The foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men. ** God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise… that no man should boast before God.

The unfolding of Thy words gives light; It gives understanding to the simple. ** Thy word I have treasured in my heart, That I may not sin against Thee.


Shortly after reading this, I received two of the most important packages in the morning mail! I thank God and pray that the others may come soon! We are dependent on Him for blessing, strength and wisdom. If we do not ask we do not have. We should seek first His kingdom and righteousness and "all these things" will be added to us.

Have a blessed day in Him!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

One thing that keeps us going in reading through the Bible in the year is the resolution that, even if we fall behind, we will always catch up. We've been weeks behind in our reading sometimes, but by reading two or three passages on weekends, we catch up. It was an important step in making the habit a strong one, because now we really miss reading the Bible if we go a day or two without reading. Spending time in God's word is just the absolute most important thing for Christians! I'm so glad that God blessed your reading yesterday (today? I don't know, I'm 11 hours behind you now!)

Have a good day! Lots of love!
Danielle

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that, Danielle! I need to be so disciplined that I really miss it when I don't do it!!

I'm glad to hear you've arrived safely. I hope you're having a ball! (I'm sure you are!)

Have a great Lord's Day!

Love & hug,
Mary

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary. I finally got to read all your blog entries. It's like viewing a bit of your life thru a tiny window, but I can't really see you or talk to you! But it's still nice! Love you!!! I'm off to bed soon. Did Paul send you his India pictures? Miss you!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mary!

I finally had some free time to look up some articles for you. I know.. it has taken me so long, and I really appologize for that. I have no excuse. =(

I will e-mail you a bunch of the articles tonight. Let me know if you get it because I'm not sure how up to date the e-mail address I have for you is. Well, I hope you are doing well! Now that the semester is coming to an end, I will try to keep in touch better.

Love,

Holly

Anonymous said...

Hey, Mom! Dad forwarded me the link to Paul's pictures. I really enjoyed looking at them today. It was very interesting - India is so different! - and it made me miss him so much! Is he back yet?

Love you so much!
Mary

Anonymous said...

Yes, I will expect more messages from now on. ;) Just kidding, but I do love hearing from you! How did the semester go? Is it finished now? Is Paul back yet? I enjoyed his India pictures (Dad forwarded me the link)!

Love & a big hug,
Mary