Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Hello! I'm back!

We arrived back late on Saturday evening. The next two days were recovery days, after the 10-hour drive from Oxfordshire to our ferry in Scotland and then having to shop for the weekend after arriving in Belfast at 10:00 p.m. I also had struggled with a cold most of the vacation. I've learned a lot from this vacation; for instance, it was too hectic with not enough restful times! It was fun and there were lots of wonderful places to see, but I was tired too often!

Tim took off yesterday and we shopped for the week as well as got caught up on some things. By the end of the day the house still looked like a tornado had just struck, but this morning I've made a lot of headway and things are nearly all unpacked. Also, my cold seems a lot better today and I'm not coughing nearly so much. I still need to be careful, lest the cold get worse again as it has before.

My overall health continues to improve. I have not needed my sleeping tablet for several weeks now, and for a month and a half I've had an almost-normal cycle. It's the most normal I've been for 5 1/2 years! I really think these improvements, as well as my big emotional improvement, are down to my big change in diet in May (cutting out lots of starch, processed foods and sugars). It can't be a coincidence that everything started really improving then! I've learned that insulin has a powerful control over hormones, so that's probably why a diet which helps insulin-resistance is making such a difference.

It's been rainy and cool since we arrived back, in contrast to the very high temperatures in England. It was the hottest July there since records began! I think the heat was very draining too. August is predicted to be even hotter in England, with thousands expected to die, especially the elderly. I think a major problem is that there is very little air-conditioning in England, so going into the house provides no relief. I suppose the best place is outside in the shade, but even that only provides some relief, and the elderly or sick can't avail themselves of it!

It's time to make lunch now; more later, hopefully, and I'll be working on a full account of our trip soon, God willing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary! I know what you mean about not having a restful vacation. It's hard when there's a lot you want to do. You don't want to rest because you don't want to miss anything.

Coming home is always tiring, too! It's amazing how quickly a tidy house can become a disaster area after you walk in.

Sorry to hear that you've had a cold, though at least things are better overall. I'm finding your progress very interesting.

It's 102 here today. I don't know how people without air conditioning can handle it. Usually in the US they open up places for people to come and cool down, schools and community centers. I wonder if schools in England have AC.